Sunday, March 30, 2008

Veggie Soup + Presidential Baseball

We're watching the first Nationals baseball game in the new stadium tonight. President Bush threw out the first pitch and people booed as he walked up to the mound. Which made me sad for him. Sure, his presidency hasn't been all happiness and balloons, but still, people, he's the President of the United States. It's so un-classy to boo him, especially when he's just throwing out a pitch at a baseball game. What is there to boo about that? I don't really think he's making some specific policy statement by tossing a baseball, such that you would need to voice your discontent on national TV. But enough of my diatribes. (PS - Prez has a cannon for an arm -- threw it all the way to the plate and then some. That made me smile.)

The latest from the Steele Kitchen was a recipe I saw on the side of a box of barley that I'd bought on a health food kick a while back. It called for ground beef, but I changed it up by using stew beef instead. This was not a wise move.

DSC_2085

The soup itself, and the high veggie content was delicious, but the meat was not very good. I readily admit this, but I maintain that if I'd followed the recipe word-for-word, the entire dish would have been fantastic.

DSC_2102

I turned to Steven while we were finishing up the soup and said, "I should write this recipe down so we can have this again!" Steven looked up from his bowl and slowly shook his head. (Please, do not subject me to this soup again. Please.)

Don't worry everyone! I am not so easily deterred! :) Next time, we will have the soup with just veggies and no meat, maybe!

This weekend was really exhausting, and we didn't even DO anything. I was kind of in a funk all weekend -- I am chalking it up to the fact that I think maybe I am getting ill. Steven thinks its the last bits of law-school-craziness, finally leaving my body. That is also possible. I intend to drink more orange juice to ward off the funk. And perhaps go to the gym tomorrow morning. But don't hold me to it.

3 comments:

Erica said...

I was so bummed out when they booed the President. not cool. reflects poorly on Nats fans. Maybe Americans as a whole.

I was in an awful funk this weekend. Let's blame the Bar Exam - yes??

tracy said...

I am not (and never have been) a big fan of Bush, but I still think it's pretty awful (shocking, really) that people booed him. Especially at a baseball game, and especially when his pitch was so pretty! Must have been kids or something, right? It sounds so immature!

I was in a funk too. I don't have a Bar Exam to blame, though! :)

The Mulvihills said...

Hope you find something yummy to cook tonight for the Twins home opener!!

Also, for the record, let me state that we are W supporters around here. Boo the booers!!!