Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tired of Tomatoes Yet?

Best culinary tomato-related exploit thus far:

DSC_8231

Slow Roasted Tomatoes.

DSC_8206

I will not pretend to take pictures that look nearly as good as Smitten Kitchen Deb's pictures. She takes the cake. (Also, I forgot to take pictures of the roasted versions after they were done cooking. Just imagine that they look kind of like hers. A little more lopsided, but similar.)

DSC_8225

Because my comic timing is nothing short of brilliant, I managed to pull these out of the oven at precisely the same time as we finished dinner, so I was too stuffed to even try one. I left them on the baking sheet for a day or so in the fridge, and then I decided to freeze them. I still hadn't tried one, because I couldn't figure out how to put them into a dish.

DSC_8244

But then I realized that I'd made some pizza sauce with some of my tomatoes last month or so, and I froze little one-pizza's-worth portions in Ziploc bags. I figured a few more tomatoes couldn't hurt, so I grabbed a couple of the frozen slow roasted tomatoes, chopped them up, and heated them with the pizza sauce for 5 minutes in a sauce pan.

DSC_8242

Best. Pizza. Sauce. Ever.

I will never tire of tomatoes. Ever. I might sleep with one under my pillow tonight.

(I am going to weep when it gets too cold for my porch plants to produce. Seriously, I may be inconsolable.)

2 comments:

Maritza said...

Now you got me cravin' tomatoes!!

Roasting them with garlic sounds yummy. I will have to try that before they go out of season.

mom said...

I LOVE tomatoes too. I could eat them 3 times a day, or more.

I could eat them in the house, I could eat them with a mouse.... oh, sorry....