Thursday, September 25, 2008

Home Stretch

The closer you are to a goal, the more impediments seem to fall in your way. Or at least that's how it felt when I opened my fridge today to find pizza dough, wholly unrisen.

I had mixed up my standard homemade pizza dough recipe (below) this morning, and I'd stuck it in the fridge, with the understanding that it would rise during the day and be ready to cook by the time I got home.

Only it didn't. And I have no idea why. And simultaneous with finding out that my pizza dough didn't rise properly, I got a return email from an opposing attorney to whom I'd just sent a set of revised documents. And his email was ... well, it was just uncalled for. It said things like bad faith and was rude and pushy and argumentative, and basically just said I was a rotten person in general.

And combined with unrisen bread dough, folks, that is hard to take. So I did what any normal person would do in similar circumstances.

I had me a nice little mini-meltdown.

And then I made Steven take me to the grocery for ready-made cookie dough (and dog food, since Pringles was out -- see, we really did have a reason to go other than my need for the comfort of chocolate chips) so we could talk about how nasty and hateful people can be sometimes when they don't really have a good argument to make.

While we were at the grocery, my bread dough was in the oven on "warm," with hopes that we could force it to quick-rise in about 45 minutes. (We also bought "insurance" at the grocery -- Freschetta frozen pizza. I was not above it, I tell you. Desperate times ...)

I am proud to report that I did not have to break my streak. The dough rose nicely after all, and Thursday's homemade dinner was accordingly chowed down.

DSC_1945

And I'm going to go put those cookies in the oven in approximately nine minutes, so that I can forget about Mr. Jerk, Esq. and just go on with my life.

Reflective

Besides, I bet he didn't have homemade pizza for dinner. With cookies.

(Edited to add: I was so wrapped up in my cookie-making-plans that I forgot to give you the pizza dough recipe. Adapted from Smitten Kitchen:

1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 little clumps of brown sugar (maybe 2 teaspoons?)

Pour warm water into large bowl. Add yeast and stir to activate. Add other ingredients and stir to form dough. Knead a bit, then shape into a ball and spray with non-stick oil. Cover and let rise for 2 hours. After it has risen, you get to do that throw-it-up-in-the-air thing that the pizza guys always do. Enjoy!)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks for the pizza dough recipe, I've been wanting your recipe for a long time. I just made pizza with the Pillsbury refrig dough and it's not the same as Heather's Fanstastic Homemade Pizza Dough!

Meltdown + Chocolate chip cookies = Peaceful Bliss


Sometimes nothing will do but Nestles TollHouse to soothe the soul.