Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In Which I Realize That I Just Kinda Don't Like Sourdough

Because I am nothing if not stubborn, I made another attempt this weekend to vanquish the sourdough.

DSC_4245

My starter, as you may remember, was born back in mid-April this spring, and I hadn't made sourdough in a few weeks. I'd kept my little starter fed in the fridge with flour and a little sugar every so often, and this weekend, I figured I'd give it one last go.

DSC_4244

And, as it turns out, once you give the starter a few months to age, it works beautifully.

DSC_4232

I gave it a long slow rise in the 90-degree summer heat, and after about four hours in the sun (covered by a towel), it rose gorgeously. In retrospect, I shouldn't have cut the slit in the top, because it deflated the rise a little bit.

DSC_4222

The crumb is moist but not too dense (this loaf isn't a 40-pound rock like the first few were). We sliced into the loaf on Sunday morning, toasted the slices and slathered them in butter and strawberry jam....

DSC_4224

Only to discover that we just aren't really big fans of sourdough bread.

DSC_4231
Anybody want any? We've got a (mostly) whole loaf here... Maybe I'll make sandwiches or something this week...

-------------------------------
Also finished this weekend (boy, it was a productive weekend): My Boss' Granddaughter's Cotton Pullover

DSC_4255
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease
Pattern: Child's Placket Neck Sweater (from Last Minute Knitted Gifts)
(pattern available here in PDF)

DSC_4265
Hello. I am lounging.

The sweater is very cute as a finished product, but the knitting of it made no sense at all. Instead of knitting it top-down like a normal raglan, the sweater is knit bottom-up, with the underarm seams closed with Kitchener stitch.

DSC_4257

Kinda a bizarre way to do things. (And hence why it languished in the pile-o-unfinished-knits for so long.)

But now that its done, I love it. I could barely hold onto it long enough to get these pictures -- I took it to work this morning, wrapped up in white polka-dotted tissue paper and tied with a loose piece of the same pink yarn. Boss recognized immediately that it was a cotton sweater, which made me smile, and I said, "Yeah -- So its totally washable!"

DSC_4253

(Clearly, Heather. A partner in a law firm is likely aware that you can wash cotton.)

Sometimes I stun even myself. With my brilliance, that is.

DSC_4258

There's another girl baby on the way (this week!) for another attorney at the firm, so I'd better get cracking if that baby's going to get a sweater before she's 2.

DSC_4260

I bill, I bake, I clothe small children. Its quite the life. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sweater is absolutely adorable!
Ms.Debbie:)

Erica said...

You might like sourdough with something savory, like roast beef, instead of jam. At least I do. The sweater is loverly!