Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Brunch

Now that I don't have to spend every millisecond of every weekend studying, I've been able to slowly re-emerge as a normal part of society. My latest proof? The Sunday Brunch.

DSC_6659

This weekend, Erika, Brett, and I ventured out to Eastern Market on the Metro with minimal hassle, and we wandered around 8th Street waiting for our reservation time, and happened upon Stitch DC, Capitol Hill! Believe it or not, I did not go inside (mostly because it wasn't open yet...). On Brett's recommendation, we decided to try a new place called Belga Cafe.

DSC_6667

Its a Belgian cafe, so the menu was in some variation of Dutch. I leave the translation to my brother. (I translated Brusselse Wafels, and that was good enough for me.)

DSC_6657

The meal started with pumpkin bread -- surprising but delicious. We ordered a round of coffee and orange juice, and chatted about how different it is to be lawyering rather than just law-schooling. (We determined that mostly there's just more paperwork.)

DSC_6658

The food quickly arrived, and we tucked right in after I forced everyone to take a picture of their dish.

I had Belgian Waffles with red berries:

DSC_6660

Erika had Groene Eieren (Green Eggs, I think...):

DSC_6661

And Brett had 4 Kazen Kroketten, which was a frisee salad with fried cheese and bacon:

DSC_6662

And, to top it all off, we split an order of fries with Belgian mayonnaise (which, for all intents and purposes, appeared to be the same as American mayonnaise, so far as I could tell).

DSC_6664

Delicious. This must be what it feels like to return to the land of the living. I think I like it. We should do this every weekend, you guys. Seriously.

DSC_6665

(After our brunch, I rushed back home to meet up with Steven so that we could join some of his work friends in buying fireworks for our Fourth-of-July celebration. We had assumed we'd be passengers in someone's car, but surprise, surprise, we were informed that we would instead be driving ourselves. To Pennsylvania. And back. The fireworks place was pretty neat, but needless to say, we are totally exhausted. Pictures and a full report to follow.)

No comments: