Saturday, June 21, 2008

Early Harvest

Hello world! Guess who's suddenly sprouted!

DSC_6403

Yep, all it took was a weekend away, and my little baby plants have gone and grown up. A few of my green beans even looked big enough to harvest and eat! So, of course, that's exactly what I did.

DSC_6404

I actually picked off six beans and ate them for dinner just now, sauteed in a little olive oil with salt and pepper. They were as fresh as fresh could possibly be. I love them. In my next life, I want to be a farmer. (Alternatively, in my next home, I just want to have a vegetable garden. The idea of combines and missing limbs sort of scares me away from farming as a career.)

-----------------------
This morning, Pringles and I ventured out into Old Town Fairfax for a little car trip. Pringles was extra sad last time we left on a trip without him, so I figured I'd give him a little ride in the car while I did some Saturday morning errands. He traveled into Walgreens with me (in a little carrying bag -- yes, I am that girl), and then when we got back in the car, he stuck his little furry head out the window and sniffed the wind.

I had been hoping to go to a farmers' market this weekend, because it just seems like the right thing to do on a Saturday in June. On the way back to the house, I saw a sign that said "Community Farmers' Market." Right by the house! Hooray! So, of course, Pringles and I stopped in for a little visit.

DSC_6415

There were all kinds of great fresh fruits -- I opted for a little box of cherries.

DSC_6407

Also, since I've been on a homemade breads kick lately, I bought some fresh bread. Chocolate Walnut Bread, to be precise.

DSC_6410

It is fantastically good. So good that I'm not sure you'll even get to see what it looks like unwrapped before we eat it all up.

We spent our Saturday afternoon at an adorable little garden place, and I got some fantastic pictures, which I will post later because its getting late.

Happy summer everybody!

1 comment:

The Mulvihills said...

Farmer's Market! Fun ! I still haven't gotten to ours yet this summer. Strawberries are in season and I would love to stock up and freeze them! De-lish!