Friday, August 1, 2008

Is it Fall Yet?

I've had November on the brain lately.

DSC_7240

Partly because its been way too long since I've had a good slice of pumpkin pie, and partly because summery knits are just not cutting it for me these days. I need wool, and I need it fast.

DSC_7235

This little cowl is taking the edge off, for now, but the lingering daydreams about November haven't stopped. Why November, you ask?

DSC_7236

Because November is National Novel Writing Month. And ever since I first heard about it (which, as would be my luck, happened to be during my 1L year of law school, which most certainly isn't a good time to start thinking about writing a novel in 30 days. I am an overachiever at heart, but I'm not that crazy...Okay, okay, if we're being truthful, I strongly considered it. As I was writing my 60 page outline for Torts. I mean, I certainly had enough first-year-law-student angst to fill a novella with war stories...), I've been wanting to give it a go.

DSC_7242

And so, as visions of scarves and peacoats dance through my head, I've been thinking about it again. And I really think this is the November for it. There's no law school. There are no bar exams. My job has relatively reasonable hours, and my weekends are free. I've essentially run out of excuses.

So, I've got to put this out there. Anyone up for writing fifty thousand words in thirty days with me? Its all about quantity, not quality. I have no idea what I'm going to write about or whether I'll even be able to do it, much less whether I'll produce anything worth shopping around to a publisher. (Given the little snippets of "practice writing" I've been doing lately, I seriously doubt it. My dialogue scenes sound like something out of a snotty 13-year-old's diary. And I totally use the word "totally" too much.)

But something in me really wants to see if I'm capable of this. Anybody else want to try it with me? Its just 1,667 words a day. That's 3 pages of single-spaced type. We could totally do that, right?

Totally.

6 comments:

The Mulvihills said...

I am proud of your tomatoes! They look great!

Before you get too many projects on your hands, let's chat about some knit baby layette. I really want you to knit the new baby's 'coming home' outfitt. I have some ideas...

The Mulvihills said...

I am proud of your tomatoes! They look great!

Before you get too many projects on your hands, let's chat about some knit baby layette. I really want you to knit the new baby's 'coming home' outfitt. I have some ideas...

Mom said...

I'll bet Dad, Matt, and Chris would join you to write in November. Don't think Jon has any extra time to write a book yet.

Dad has been talking to me lately about taking the month of September, or maybe 6 weeks, to write a book. He already has the outline ready.

Ready, Set, Write!

You go girl. You already are a Published Writer for "The Docket".

mom said...

Gorgeous colors and cables in your current knitting project!
Fall leaves, cool crisp morning air, clear blue sky.... yup... fall love.

Jennifer said...

oooh! i will i will! this sounds so fabulous and how much do i love you for knowing that november is novel writing month! i think we could TOTALLY do this AND it be worth publishing. :) (look at all our gmail chats. those are full of valuble info from guy advice to recipe testing to wearing heels in gym AND funny! who wouldnt publish that?)

tracy said...

I have wanted to do NaNoWriMo ever since I heard about it, too! I am SO up for it this year!!