Monday, August 11, 2008

There's Something About That Sweet Tea...

Growing up in the South, I never really realized how very classically Southern my growing-up years were. When you're surrounded by traditional Southern things, you tend not to notice -- until you move far enough north that people stop understanding that there is only one kind of tea.

Sweet tea. (Preferably served in a Mason jar with plenty of ice. Handles optional.)

DSC_7491

And when you have a late summer luncheon, you host it in the church rec hall, of course. And you serve sweet tea and lemonade. (Nevermind that unsweet stuff -- nobody really drinks it, trust me. Its only there for equality's sake, to make it look like us Southerners might potentially drink something without seventeen cups of sugar in every gallon. Truth is, we cannot. The sweet tea is too delicious to give up.)

DSC_7412

And there will always be a cake, decorated with a loving hand, and sized to serve twice the number of attendees. (Must. Always. Have. Extra. Cake!)

DSC_7410

Lunch should be served buffet-style. That way, its easier for us hungry folk to get seconds. (Notice how I managed to be first in line for food. I have priorities, people.)

DSC_7488

And most importantly, several generations of the family should be present. Here's Dad, teaching his first granddaughter how to properly chow-down, Georgia style.

DSC_7497

And here's Riley's dad, (my brother) Jon, surveying the territory and drooling accordingly. (Jon is doing the surveying. Riley is doing the drooling.)

DSC_7531

Our "Tribute to GP" birthday party began with a layout of pictures from various decades. I will spare you my late-eighties/early-nineties style, but suffice to say, it got quite a few laughs.

DSC_7440

I especially loved seeing all the old photos of my parents and grandparents as kids. I loved this one of my mom and her brothers. Mom was about 13 in this picture. The very tall guy in the back is her older brother, David. (He and his family came to Grandpa's birthday celebration, too!)

DSC_7711

There was also a picture of Grandpa when he was two years old -- I didn't manage to snap a photo of that one, but I did get this picture of Grandpa with my maternal grandmother (she passed away long before I was born). I would have loved to have met her -- I bet she was pretty hip.

DSC_7710

As part of our tribute to Grandpa, each family member (or group of family members) took the mic and recorded a little video for Grandpa. Jon and Mandy started their video by saying, "Hi Grandpa -- the last time we saw you was at our wedding, and a lot has happened since then..." Mandy held up the baby and said, "See?" :)

DSC_7546

Riley recited a Shakesperian sonnet. (Actually, she just drooled. But it was still extremely cute.)

DSC_7551

Remember that tall teenager in the old photograph? Here he is, with his son and grandsons. He managed to get a semblance of "Happy Birthday Grandpa" out of little Wesley, although it sounded more like "Bip, Bip, Baaaaaah!" Everyone loved it.

DSC_7574

My youngest brother, Chris, played and sang the 23rd Psalm. It was gorgeous. I even shed a little tear. (Sorry Chris, I know that's sappy. But I changed your diapers, man! (Sorry again for that one.) And now you're six-four and heading off to college next year. Criminy!)

DSC_7585

My middle-brother, Matt, read a stanza from e.e. cummings, and Matt's fiancee, Kristen, joked that Grandpa thought they were already engaged before Matt had popped the question, so Kristen credits Grandpa for giving Matt the idea. :)

DSC_7603

Mom and Dad went last, each telling a heartfelt story of a memory with Grandpa.

DSC_7610

Dad told the story of being nervous to ask Grandpa for Mom's hand in marriage, but he said GP took it all in stride and was very kind to Dad (despite the nerves!) :)

DSC_7604

Our family friends, the McGintys, were also there to celebrate the occasion. (And for the sweet tea, obviously. You don't pass up sweet tea when its readily available.) I remember babysitting the McGinty girls when they were in elementary school, and now they are nearly grown up! Amazing how fast time flies.

DSC_7518

Jillian succeeded in making Riley laugh hysterically.

DSC_7675

After the videotaping part was over, we sat around and did what our family does best -- plunking on any instrument within arm's reach.

DSC_7700

Yep, we start 'em young in my family.

DSC_7717

This is just what we do. No television, no video games. Give us some chairs, some guitars, and maybe a rogue piano, and we can entertain ourselves for hours on end.

DSC_7764

Once the Family Band had played nearly every song in their repetoire -- including the theme to the Home Depot commercial in every possible variation (careful, its an addictive little tune) -- we decided it was time for supper.

And thus we supped. At Sonny's!

DSC_7796

Again, I didn't realize how very Southern my southern years were until I drove up past the Mason-Dixon line and realized that you can't get barbeque like this just anywhere. Especially not where there's a dude in cowboy boots holding a wooden serving spoon printed right onto the table. That's a sign of a quality BBQ place, folks.

DSC_7799

Matt and Chris discussed the physics of properly spearing corn on the cob with those little pointy sticks. (Harder than you might think.)

DSC_7801

And now, back here in NoVa, I'm already missing the tea, syrupy sweet and still a bit warm from the stovetop. Happy birthday, Grandpa. Thanks for being a part of this Southern heritage I'm still discovering with every new trip back home.

DSC_7411

Hope you enjoy the movie we made for you!

4 comments:

laura said...

what an enjoyable read :-)

Jaimy and Bret said...

I. LOVE. SONNY'S. Very Jealous! Can never find BBQ like that anywhere else.

Mom said...

Thanks to you and Steven for coming to ATL. Thanks for your picture taking skills. and Thanks for still loving your Southern folks.

Thank ya, Thank ya, Thank ya!

Love you always!

Steven said...

Still no pictures of Carlie - Shame on you! :)