Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Second Annual Arlington Turkey Trot 5K

Last year, Steven and I ran the "First Annual" Arlington Turkey Trot. (It was our first time running this race. I think the race itself has been going on for three or four years now.)

We've decided to make it a tradition (although you can clearly see I have not bought myself any new running clothes in the past year. Yes. I am very cheap.)

Steven had to sit out this year's race because of a sports injury, so Jenny and I represented the family in the "Second Annual" Turkey Trot this year!

DSC_4423

We trained dutifully, and as the race started, we got ourselves into a good pace. It was really fun to have our photog-husbands on the sidelines to capture the action.

DSC_4457

Guess who else was running the race? That's right, Mr. and Mrs. Claus, along with various elves, and I think I even saw a Gingerbread Man.

DSC_4472

It was really foggy that morning, but it wasn't as cold as last year's race. I think there were about 2,000 participants this year.

DSC_4488

I think this was around Mile One. Jenny and I grinned like this through the whole race.

DSC_4493

Here's the finish line, and you can see the timing clock.

DSC_4497

And here's the guy that won. I think his time was somewhere around 15:30, which is just obscenely fast.

DSC_4502

And here we come, down the final hill to the big finish! We spotted Steven and Josh in the crowd and picked up our pace even faster.

DSC_4511

Our goal was to finish in under 40 minutes. "Jenny! Look at the clock! We did it!"

DSC_4512

Kicking in to the finish line....!

DSC_4515

I think I am screaming "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" right here.

DSC_4516

Um, we pretty much rule. Girl power!

DSC_4523

The race gives out these neat timing chips that you tie onto your shoe, so that it can track your exact time. (We got started about a minute after the first runners, so our actual time was even faster than the clock showed at the finish line. Our official time? 35:27. We ROCKED it.

DSC_4525

After the race, we took our obligatory photo with Santa.

DSC_4530

(Jenny read his info at the bottom of his race number, and it said "Male, 29, Arlington." Now we know where Santa lives. And he's surprisingly younger than I thought he was...)

To reward ourselves for such a successful race, we hit the bagels-and-bananas table.

DSC_4541

We had a total blast running it. I have a feeling we'll be doing this again some day.

DSC_4548

After all, Jenny is officially a certified road-race runner now. :) 10K, anyone?

1 comment:

Tori said...

how do you run while wearing glasses? they would drive me crazy!