Sunday, November 29, 2009

And Then There Was Turkey...

There is, quite possibly, nothing in this world that makes me happier than the careful planning and production of a gigantic meal on an important occasion. I love the preparation, I love the meticulous timing of it all, and I especially love when nothing goes terribly, terribly wrong.

DSC_4625

(Also, I love Reynolds Oven Turkey Bags.)

Steven's family made the long trek out to our house for Thanksgiving this year, and we were so very pleased to have them. It was also the third official use of the dining room table. (We should eat meals in there more often, but I sort of feel like a weird old British couple when we sit in there alone, just Steven and I.)

DSC_4627

We did all of the dishes buffet-style, and I just left them on the countertop for folks to fill their plates and bring them back to the table. It gave us a bit more elbow room at the table that way.

DSC_4628

So here's the menu we had: Roast Turkey, Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes, Stove Top Stuffing (classy, I know), Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry-Sauce-Shaped-Like-A-Can, and homemade dinner rolls, from this recipe. The dinner rolls didn't come out the way I'd imagined, and I think it was for lack of a decent amount of rise time (I stuck the dough in the fridge after about an hour of rising. Big mistake.)

DSC_4632

Over on Table number Two, we had the "assorted snacks and desserts," including my mom's famous Spiced Pecans recipe, a Pumpkin Pie, and a Nutella Cake, a la Nigella Lawson. It was SO rich but also very good (and a little droopy in the center, but who's really looking?)

DSC_4633

We also made an Apple Pie that really was more of an apple pizza, from this recipe. It was my favorite dessert of the three, by far. I like it because you could make it on a cookie sheet and it didn't really matter if you couldn't roll the dough out into a perfect circle (which I totally can't).

DSC_4640

Here's Steven's Thanksgiving plate. (Now I know where all the gravy went...)

DSC_4634

And here's the happy family, ready to dig in. Another Thanksgiving meal, successfully completed, with no unmitigated disasters whatsoever. (Hallelujah.)

DSC_4637

After the meal, there were groans of "Oh, I'm soooooo stuffed..."

Music to my ears, people. That's the best thing a Thanksgiving cook can ever hope to hear.

No comments: