Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bam!

We've been having difficulty getting weeknight meals prepared in a timely fashion over here at the Steele house lately. This is partially because I worked late a few nights last week, and partially because cooking just takes time, which is a difficult concept to explain to someone who hasn't really cooked that often.

In an effort to solve this dilemma, I wrote up a little schedule that said, "Steven cooks Tues/Thurs, Heather cooks M/W/F," but after lengthy negotiations over coffee at Panera last Saturday, my schedule was soundly rejected by the Master of the House. (He did have a point -- what if I have to work late on a Wednesday, but I'm home early on a Tuesday? Might be better to just have him cook whenever I'll be home late....)

But then we had to vanquish the task of "Steven Cooking." We've broached this territory before, and it was uneasy ground. However, I am pleased to inform you that Chef Steven (a/k/a Emeril) is in the house. Tonight's menu? Asian Chicken with White Rice and Green Beans

DSC_4347

He did an excellent job of following the recipe, even when he got slightly spattered with hot oil while cooking the chicken. (I told him, "Now you know why I randomely yelp in here sometimes. It hurts!")

DSC_4348

I was complaining to Mom telling Mom about how hard it is to whip up a meal on a weeknight, and she thoughtfully sent me this cookbook for weeknight cooking.

DSC_4354

Thank you Mom, I'm going to cook out of it all next week. Or maybe more accurately, we're going to cook out of it all next week.

In addition to discovering Steven's latent cooking ability, I have made another important discovery: Harris Teeter Online Grocery Shopping.

Now, for all of my midwestern friends, I do apologize, because this is apparently only available on the East Coast, but it is my NEW MOST FAVORITEST THING EVER. You just log on, pick out exactly what groceries you want (I do this with the recipe book right next to me, so that I can be sure I've ordered everything I need), and then set a time to go pick up your groceries. You drive up to the curb, push a button, and they bring the groceries out to your car.

This might sound like the epitome of laziness to some folks, but for me, this is absolutely perfect. I can pick up the groceries on my way home from work on a Monday night, and there's no more having to whine about spending an hour trudging through the aisles on the weekend. I am still getting the hang of it, and the goal will be to set up a list of all the stuff we always order (milk, cereal, etc.) so that I dont have to keep searching for it each time. But so far, I'm loving it!

(Also, the very nice Harris Teeter lady who assembled my grocery order last time sent me a handwritten thank you note, and really, who can resist a handwritten thank you? I certainly can't. My order for Week 2 is winging its way to Harris Teeter right now.)

2 comments:

The Mulvihills said...

They do they whole order your groceries thing at our neighborhood grocery store and I have heard great things about it! I have considered doing it. Really, though, if I were working long hours like you, I would do it in a heartbeat!!

The Taylormoore's said...

I had no idea! I am so signing up for this. I have lost all ability to cook weekday dinners (and most weekend meals for that matter). Billable hours are the death of healthy eating, exercising, blogging and all personally enriching activities!!!! (Yes, you can tell I need a vacation.) Hope all is well.