Sunday, June 28, 2009

Raspberry Coffee Cake

I've been a cake-baking fiend lately. Something about warm weather and the availability of fresh berries at cheap prices has brought out the baker in me.

A week or two ago, Sassy Radish posted a recipe for an easy weeknight cake. I read through the recipe and realized I only needed raspberries and buttermilk to make it.

DSC_1812

Off to the store I went.

DSC_1813

And she wasn't kidding about this cake being lightning fast to make. From starting the mixing to pulling the cake out of the oven, it was less than an hour total. (Plus, I got to use my stand mixer in the middle of the week! Bonus!)

DSC_1815

You can use any berry in place of the raspberries (I made a blueberry version for my family last week, which they happily scarfed right up). I bet blackberries or mulberries would be amazing, too.

DSC_1816

The best part about this cake is the dusting of sugar over the top right before baking. It gives the top of the cake a caramelized crunch. And I love how the batter just swallows up the raspberries as it rises.

DSC_1819

I've had this cake on the brain since last night at our first-annual Recession Dinner Party, which I will tell you more about later. I was thinking that this cake would be a great (cheap) dessert to bring to the next one (although it would be hard to top the Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding we had last night, courtesy of Jaimy and Bret). (In fact, all of the food last night was glorious -- hard to believe everyone did it all on a budget of $20 per couple. Outstandingly awesome. And hosted by our lovely friends Tracy and Dan, who'd better get a blog started asap before they leave for Rwanda, or I am going to protest and picket in front of their apartment building with signs. Or something.)

Now that I've spent the last half-hour looking at these pictures, I think I need to make one more of these right now, just to use up the last of my buttermilk in the fridge. Can't let things go to waste, right?

(Edited to add: Here's the blueberry one from last week!)

DSC_1943

(Edited further to add:)

For those of you wanting the recipe, here it is! (From Sassy Radish)

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake (Adapted from Gourmet, June 2009)
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 container fresh raspberries

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.

At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.

Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.

Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Need this recipe please. The blueberry cake was fantastic. I want to try it with raspberries too. Your pictures look like I could reach in the screen and eat.

What was the menu for your Recession Dinner?

Yumm Yumm Yummyness by HR!
I love you. Mom

Samantha M. said...

Recipe please!

Samantha M. said...

Oh I see that you linked to it in your post. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

omg! you are awesome! i love what you are posting here! thanks. :)cant wait to try all your recipes. quite a ways from ramen noodle soup and hotdogs. :)