Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sauteed Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce (with broccoli and polenta)

So my second week of pre-planned meals started out on a good note, but went downhill from there. Pictured below was Monday's meal; however, given the last Twins game of the year on Tuesday (so sorry dear), a Tenant Forum on Wednesday (more on that later), just being generally tired and aggravated by work on Thursday, and our regularly-scheduled Friday night out, this was also our only home-cooked meal of the week.

I try, really I do.

DSC_8656

(At least it wasn't pizza again, right?)

Sauteed Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce (with broccoli and baked polenta)
from Great Food Fast (and yes, I am aware that I sloshed the polenta onto that plate like a cafeteria lady. I have never won any awards for presentation.)

DSC_8661

This was my first time using several new spices, including marjoram in the polenta and tarragon in the sauce for the chicken. I liked the marjoram, but the tarragon clashed with the tang of the dijon in the cream sauce and I was not a fan. All of the flavors simultaneously argued for top billing in this meal, and the separate parts did not mesh together very well. (Perhaps this is why the polenta is in an entirely different chapter of the cookbook from the mustard chicken...)

But it sure looked purty, eh?

DSC_8655

What do you think? Did I get pretty close to the picture?

DSC_8619

I also taught myself a (great) new way to cook broccoli with this meal. I brought salted water to a boil, then dropped the fresh broccoli spears into the boiling water for 60 seconds. I fished the broccoli out with a slotted spoon, and then sauteed the broccoli with olive oil for another 60-90 seconds after that. It was perfectly done and delicious.

So what have we learned?

1. I do not like tarragon and dijon mustard mixed together.

2. I can live with marjoram.

3. I now know a great new way to cook broccoli that creates twice the amount of dirty dishes that my previous method used.

Fantastic.

2 comments:

mom said...

"(and yes, I am aware that I sloshed the polenta onto that plate like a cafeteria lady. I have never won any awards for presentation.)" -HR

Yes, Heather, you DID win an award for presentation in Home Ed with Eggs Benedict on a tray with fruit and even a flower in a vase. Was it called the "Eggs Best Award"? I think that was 11th grade. Love you always (Moms don't forget school moments and awards!)

mom said...

oops .. Home Economics