Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Baked Ravioli (and Proving that I Really Do Cook This Stuff)

I haven't cooked as much this week. Not because I don't want to, but mostly because it takes so much forethought, and I haven't really had much forethought lately.

But last week, man, was I a cooking fiend!

DSC_8843

Okay, not really. But I did make ravioli and Steven proclaimed it good.

DSC_8841

This is my humble "gourmet" kitchen. And by gourmet I mean that everything is within reach. (The bedroom, the laundry, the balcony, the shower... I can reach it all from the kitchen. Amazing.)

DSC_8827

The best part of the ravioli, according to Steven: "That cheese. Oh man, that cheese."

DSC_8844

For the record, it is a blend of italian and parmesan. Heavy on the parmesan.

DSC_8845

And Oh. My. Word. It was delicious. I had seconds.

DSC_8848

And I am proud to announce that this was the very first dish wherein we kept it in the fridge and ate the rest of it as leftovers the next night for dinner. Shocking, I know. Unheard of in these here parts.

DSC_8850

Carlie was awed. (I think.)

DSC_8839

This is what she looks like when she's pondering the outcome of a globalized economic meltdown. This is also what she looks like when she has to pee, coincidentally.

Baked Ravioli (adapted from you-know-where)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
1.5 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano
1 small can (14 oz) whole tomatoes
1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1.5 lbs ravioli (from the refrigerated section)
1.5 c shredded italian blend cheese
1 c shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until garlic is golden and onions are soft. Add thyme and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. When sauce has thickened and reduced to about 5.5 cups, remove from heat (20-25 minutes).

Meanwhile, boil ravioli in salted water just until they float to the top (the pasta will continue to cook in the oven). Drain and return to pot. Toss sauce with pasta and pour into large ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle cheeses (lots and lots if your husband's name is Steven-The-Cheese-A-Holic). Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

3 comments:

me said...

Yum!

Mitchell said...

Gonna try it out.
Thanks, Mitchell

kristinandmillie said...

yum! ok i am so glad that i have found you and your cheese lover recipe's! send more please. my husband, stephen also loves some cheese. also, i have a blog if you want to check it out:
http://www.milliebenton.com

glad we found each other on facebook!