Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Meat-and-Potatoes Kind of Guy

My husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. He does not mess around with frilly things like arugula, swiss chard, or even chicory. If a foodstuff is described as "leafy green," he is not interested.

Which is precisely why he nodded when I showed him the picture of the recipe for a dry-rubbed skirt steak in (you guessed it) Everyday Food.

DSC_8775

I was in kind of a rush when I was making this (when am I not in a rush lately?), so the mashed potatoes did not really get boiled all the way through and were resultingly lumped potatoes instead of mashed potatoes.

Steven ate them anyway. Mostly because he loves me, but also because he loves potatoes, mashed or otherwise. (Also because I put lots of garlic in them, which he also loves.)

DSC_8777

This was the first from-scratch dry-rub recipe that I've ever used. I expected it to be painfully spicy, but it actually wasn't bad. It tasted a lot like every steakhouse restaurant's steak seasoning, which was a good thing. I will probably make this again.

And I promise to mash the potatoes next time, hon. Promise.

DSC_8772

In a perfect world, I would have grilled this steak over a charcoal grill. Except for that county law about not having any open flames on an apartment balcony. (Those county laws ... always holding me down.) Given that I also do not have a gas stove, I sauteed the steaks in a frying pan on the stove. The results were okay, but certainly not stellar. I am eagerly awaiting our first home, and Steven and I have agreed that our first purchase will be a nice outdoor grill. (Steven wants Johnsonville Brats on the grill for a week straight. Seriously. He is not kidding.)

Flank Steak Dry Rub:
5 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
2 tsp. olive oil

In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Sprinkle mixture over steak and drizzle with olive oil. Let stand, turning to coat evenly with oil halfway through, for 10 minutes. Cook over high heat, turning once, until meat reaches desired doneness (4 to 6 minutes for medium rare).

And make sure you boil your potatoes for a goodly while.

1 comment:

me said...

Yum! Do you know the potato-fork doneness trick? If you (gently) stick a fork into a boiling potato chunk, it will slide off easily if it is done and will stick on the fork if it is not.