Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pork and Apricot Kebabs

We've been trying to get more creative with the grill lately (mostly because I can't face the reality of ANOTHER hot dog, no matter how good it tastes). I like to take my old issues of Everyday Food for the month we're in (so the July/August issue) and see if I missed any gems the first time around.

DSC_2142

Come to find out, there was a recipe for Pork and Apricot Kebabs in the July 2008 issue that looked fantastic.

DSC_2144

We've only recently added pork to the Steele family "acceptable meats" list (which will never, unfortunately, include anything that swims. If it lives in water, Steven will not eat it.)

DSC_2151

(Although I did get him to try a piece of shrimp one time. I had high hopes. He took it, gulped it down, grimaced, and said, "Yep, I never want to eat that again." Can't say I didn't try...)

DSC_2153

The part of this recipe I especially liked was the apricot jam glaze. I got to use my fancy-shmancy new silicone brush for the glaze. (And no, I am not pouring vegetable oil onto the skewers. I was trying to oil the grill grates and needed a place to put some oil to dip the brush in. Leave me alone, I am still new at this whole "grilling" thing.)

DSC_2170

I ran out of glaze about halfway through and had to run into the kitchen and whip up a second batch....

DSC_2174

Which is precisely when I remembered to put on my apron. (Like it? Its new! Mom bought it for me while they were here - its from World Market and its my absolute favorite!)

DSC_2189

I think I ended up making some rice to go with this -- we cooked the rice on the side burner right on the grill, which I found to be immensely fun (if also rather difficult).

DSC_2193

And our resident Food Critic's review?

"The meat and onions are really good. I don't like that fruit stuff though."

DSC_2213

:) Two out of three ain't bad...

1 comment:

The Mulvihills said...

Cute apron, Heather!! The kabobs look fantastic!