Turns out, I was right. These carrots are all leaves and no roots.
This little guy was the best of the bunch. I am slightly bummed, but they do smell delicious and sweet, so perhaps they will still taste good. All two bites of them.
I think this may have happened because of the way I set up the garden -- the soil was loose for the first 6 inches or so, but then its tightly-packed, rocky dirt underneath. I think once the carrot roots hit that lower ground, they just quit growing.
All you gardeners out there, any ideas? I planted some more carrot seeds recently, hoping for a more productive fall crop, but I have a feeling the same thing might happen again this fall. Ah, the joys of experimentation.
Good thing seeds are so cheap!
2 comments:
They look just like the organic baby carrots at the grocery store. Maybe they are that varietal and not supposed to be classic large carrots?
I wonder what they would do if you let them continue to grow? We grew carrots a few years ago and they just needed more time.
Now what you need to make with those carrots is a homemade carrot cake. So Martha!
Post a Comment