Sunday, December 9, 2012

Life Planner and Kitchen Command Center!


Our kitchen has this lovely little spot for a desk.  Sadly, it was a source of stress for me for nearly a year before I did something about it.  It began as a dumping ground for every bag, paper, and tchotchke that came in from the car each evening after work/school.
IMG_1333

First order of business in any organizing project is to clear everything out and analyze what you have.  I left a couple of things - cloth napkins, a collection of Everyday Food magazines, some pink paper plates/napkins from Soph's birthday, and my camera/cords/flash.

IMG_1334

I then brainstormed for probably 3-4 weeks about what I wanted.  I knew I wanted a big wall calendar to display the family's schedule a month at a time.  Someone pointed me in the direction of Erin Condren and I was hooked.  I ordered her Life Planner and her wall calendar, both personalized!  I then waited with bated breath for the postman to arrive.

IMG_1554

You know its something good when you take a photo of the wrapping.

IMG_1555

Here's a close up of the personalization on the calendar -- it is 11 x 17, so its nice and big to see from a distance.  I really could write larger on it, but I was trying to be neat.  (For client confidentiality purposes, I had to blur out a couple of work things.)

IMG_1556

I also bought a mail holder from the Martha Stewart Collection at Staples.

IMG_1558

I relocated a little desk lamp from the family room - it fit perfectly.  I bought a magnetic white board from Target to hold the calendar and any other notes.  I bought a pack of multicolor Flair felt tip pens, but Sophie wanted them so badly that I had to hide them in the cabinet.

IMG_1559

Here's my Life Planner!  I decided not to put a picture on the front because I'm always in court and I sort of felt skeevy about all the random people at the courthouse seeing photos of my kids every time I needed to write something down.  Behind the Life Planner is the deskpad that comes with the big monthly calendar!

IMG_1564

The Life Planner comes with stickers! So fun!

IMG_1565

Of course, Soph has already claimed the spot as her own.  We got a chair from Home Goods to complete the little desk nook.  I love it.

IMG_1569

The shelves above the desk were outfitted with bins from Target and labeled with those Martha Stewart labels from Staples.  Lest you think I did this in one shopping trip, let me explain that this took me at least a month to put together.  Time for Mommy-Projects moves so much more slowly when one has small children....

IMG_1573

I organized the baskets based upon what I had originally stuffed into those spaces -- I did this in September and these bins are still working great in December, so the categories seemed to cover what we needed them to include.

IMG_1575

And three months in, my Life Planner is getting some serious use. (Again with the confidentiality stuff. You understand how it goes.)  I love that the day is split into morning/day/night.  I try to use the morning part for exercise/stuff about daycare/important things to remember for the day.  "Day" is for all my work appointments/court appearances.  And "Night" is typically reserved for meal planning.  It is a work in progress.

IMG_1663

Most of all, I just enjoy having a brightly colored calendar in the black and white, Times New Roman drabness that is a law firm.  It also happens to make a lovely cupcake coaster. :)  You know, for that 3 PM pick me up.

IMG_2289

So that's my kitchen command center and my new Life Planner!  Next up, my pantry organization project!

No comments: