Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cupcakes!

For Christmas this year, Steven got me a trip to Cookology at the Dulles Town Center Mall for a "cupcake workshop"!   I took Erica with me and made her wear a big paper chef's hat! Awesome.
DSC_6816
We learned how to make three types of cupcakes: vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet.  The class was more about baking the cupcakes from scratch than it was about decorating them, although we did pipe some fantastic icing at the end.
DSC_6822
The funniest part was discovering that we wouldn't be using any mixers or spoons or anything -- we hand-mixed these cupcakes.  With our own two (four?) hands.   Messy, but fun!  I somehow roped Erica into mixing the first batch for us (mwah-haha), but then I ended up mixing the red velvet batter, so in the end I got my just desserts.  Har-dee-har-har.  My fingers are still pink from the red food coloring!
DSC_6821
They gave us a website where we could go get the recipes to make our own batch of cupcakes at home (I probably would use my stand mixer for a batch of 24 cakes.  Just sayin.)  We are still waiting to hear back from Cookology on whether they will post the icing recipes -- during the class, they told us that the icing recipe would be available online, but unfortunately it wasn't there when I checked last.
DSC_6824
I'm really hoping we can get the icing recipe, because the chef instructing our class mentioned that he whisked the chocolate mousse icing for THREE HOURS and I have to know if that's really what he meant to say.
DSC_6826
My finished cupcakes! Don't make fun of the icing on my red velvet cupcake - it was supposed to be a "homey-looking shmear."
DSC_6827
Erica's cupcakes!  I think we totally rocked it.  We're ready to go open a cupcakery now.  You know, in our "free time."
DSC_6829
I felt sort of like the Pope in this hat.  Sacrilege?
DSC_6830
Erica wins the prize for being able to hold all three of her cupcakes at once.

When I got home, Steven and I split the red velvet cupcake immediately.  It was delicious - the cake was not as sweet as I anticipated, so it was a good balance against the cream cheese icing (which was insanely delicious).   I fully intend to eat BOTH of the remaining cupcakes after dinner.  And if I had whole milk handy (and the icing recipe, come to think of it), I'd strongly consider making a whole batch for myself tonight.  Mmmm, cupcakes.

Erica and I decided we need to take another class.  Knife skills? Cupcake decorating? Asian fusion? The possibilities are endless...

1 comment:

Kristin and Adam Salvia said...

that sounds like so much fun, what a great gift!!