Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion

Now that I've renewed my interest in the (still kinda scary) sewing machine, I thought it might be time for my first entry into the world of "Wardrobe Refashion."

Wardrobe Refashion is basically just taking old clothes from your closet and re-vamping them into something new.

And, as always, I tend to plunge right into these things without a whole lot of forethought. "Measure twice, cut once" isn't really my forte just yet. :) Besides, patterns are for sissies, right?

DSC_2810
Aack! A dismembered sleeve! Let's hope she knows what she's doing...

So here's the setting. Just a big table, a beginner sewing machine, a mini ironing board, and my eternal optimism.

DSC_2812

As they say, "Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades." But for as bad as my sleeve-cutting skills are, a few well-placed and ironed hem folds can work wonders.

DSC_2818

And after 10-minutes of concentrated folding, ironing, pinning, and praying, I ended up with a new short-sleeved shirt.

DSC_2816
Hello, I used to be a long-sleeved shirt from The Gap that didn't make much sense.

This shirt has very thin fabric but used to have really long sleeves. You couldn't wear it in the winter because it was so thin, but you also couldn't wear it in the summer because of the sleeves.

Enter the Steele Wardrobe Refashion, Version One.

DSC_2828

From a useless piece of clothing that I never wore, to a perfectly functional (albeit wrinkly) dress shirt for work!

DSC_2834

And, as a special bonus to all you dedicated folks out there who read all the way to the bottom of the post, here's a picture of me, my unmade bed, and our toilet! How attractive!

Happy Sunday, Everybody. Now, go cut up all your clothes and make new stuff!