Friday, April 3, 2009

State of the Garden

I have so many backlogged blog posts, its starting to get out of hand. So I will diligently attempt to post every other day (or so) until I've gotten all of my "drafts" into actual posted items.

(Yes. I have blog drafts. I realize this is not normal. I draft things for a living, so it made sense to me. Leave me alone.)

Anyway! So let's discuss the current state of the veggie garden, shall we?

The first weekend in March, I started setting up the beds:

DSC_0862
A couple layers of leaves and compost (although not very broken-down at all -- I think there are whole slices of potato and banana peels in the layer right beneath these leaves. Oh well. Let nature run its course, right?)

I am by no means hippy crunchy enough to purposefully buy "Organic Dirt." It just happened to be the cheapest stuff on the shelf at $3 a bag. Quite a steal, I thought.

DSC_0864

A couple of heave-hos later and I managed to dump all the bags out in the garden and spread it evenly around, without getting entirely coated in dirt. (Carlie supervised this activity.)

DSC_0888

Once the dirt was spread, I consulted my various gardening tomes. ("What can I plant outside in early March again?")

DSC_0886

Also, after about the fourth time I touched my face with gardening-hands and gave myself big dirt streaks down my cheeks, I wised up and started itching my nose with the back of my hand.

DSC_0885

So, what did we plant, you ask?

DSC_0882
Mesclun lettuce: Arugula and some other "spicy" varieties.

DSC_0880

Carrots!

DSC_0879

The seeds for the carrots are so tiny.

DSC_0878

Brussles Sprouts! (I have no idea if we like these or will eat them, but by golly, they grow in cold weather and I wanted to PLANT STUFF. So now we have two rows of Brussles Sprouts.)

DSC_0873

I also planted lots of spinach. Several different plantings, actually. I am hoping for spinach salads and the like.

DSC_0869

I also planted a "sweet" version of the mesclun lettuce, and I apparently forgot to take a picture of the seed package.

DSC_0883

So there you have it! Up next, you can see all the progress my little baby plants have made. Hooray for (my brave attempts at) growing our own food!

3 comments:

The Mulvihills said...

Looks great, Heather! I'm excited to see how they grow! I enrolled Jay in a class for next week that teaches him all about growing strawberries. I'm thinking we will indeed have our own little garden this summer also! Fun!

Mom said...

I went to Trader Joe's and bought a bag of spinach... yum. Can't plant anything in the yard - I have way too many tree to grow anything. Even the back yard grass doesn't grow, it's a-natural back there.

Have a wonderful time gardening and enjoy eating the fruits/veggies of your labor.

Love you always,
Mom

Jenny said...

I'm jealous!

You'll like the brussels sprouts. Roast them with some olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Couldn't be easier and couldn't be yummier.

Happy gardening!