Saturday, April 11, 2009

Butterfly/Hummingbird Flower Garden

There's a small garden space on the west side of our house. Its not fit for veggies, mostly because I drive the car right by there every day and fear the exhaust fumes somehow getting into the food, and well, that would be bad.

DSC_1033

However, it is still a big enough patch of dirt that it needs something growing there. Until a few weeks ago, it was just a huge thatch of weeds.

That is, until I got the hankering to rip them all out of the ground at around 7 PM on a Friday night.

DSC_1032

The sun set before I could get a picture of the nice clean dirt. I bought one of those bags of "mixed wildflowers" and shook it all over the little garden patch. The seed leaves are starting to sprout, but no flowers yet.

I am OCD enough to have already googled all the types of flowers listed on the package, just to see what they will look like. If these things bore you, look away now, because I've assembled a mighty long list of pictures here (mostly so I can look at them later in great anticipation, and maybe also so I can come back here and I.D. the flowers after they start growing.)

UPDATE: One of the joys of the internet -- things randomly stop working. I am fixing this. Maybe. We'll see what I can find.

One Rather OCD List Of Flowers:

Nasturtiums Tropaeolum Majus



Calendula Calendula Officinalis



Forget Me Not Cynoglossum Firmament



Perennial Lupine Lupinus Perennis



Sunflower Helianthus Annuus (Duh. Everyone knows what these look like. Still, for the sake of consistency:)



Cornflower Centaurea Cyanus (Ok, quick story about this one. In sixth grade, I went on a trip to Florida with my whole class. My mom and my best friend's mom both went with us as chaperones. Naturally, the four of us shared a hotel room during the entire trip. As we drifted off to sleep one night, I decided it would be a good time to tell everyone about my latest crush on a boy in our class. I was listing off all the reasons why I was So In Love with him, and one of the factors was (and I quote) "His Gorgeous Cauliflower Blue Eyes." Clearly, I meant cornflower blue. Still, I didn't live that one down until maybe our senior year of high school. Cauliflower blue. The misnomer that lived in infamy for my entire teenage existence. Oh the humanity.)



Cosmos Cosmos Bipinnatus



Lance Leaved Coreopsis Coreopsis Lanceolata



Purple Coneflower Echinacea Purpurea (Echinacea? Like the tea?)



Rocket Larkspur Delphinium Ajacis(I'm not a huge fan of this one. It looks kind of weedy.)



Rose Mallow Lavatera Trimestris (On further contemplation, is this thing going to be a bumblebee haven? Am I going to be afraid to exit my garage for fear of being stung now? Rats. This looks like a bee-friendly flower, for sure...)



Zinnia Zinnia Elegans(OMG! AACK! I knew it! Bees! Argh! Quick, dig all that flower seed up and get rid of it! Bees.... shudder. Heather is to bees as Indiana Jones is to snakes. "Bees. Why did it have to be bees?")



Plains Coreopsis Coreopsis Tinctoria(Oh, but some of these are beautiful enough to risk the swarms of horrid stinging insects. Besides, I can always admire them from the safety of my kitchen window...)



Shirley Poppy Papaver Rhoeas



Yellow Prarie Coneflower Ratibida Columnifera



Annual Phlox Phlox Drummondii (Oh, these are cute! Very hydrangea-y.)



Scarlet Sage Salvia Coccinea(Again with the looking-overly-weedy issue. Hmm.)



Spurred Snapdragon Linaria Moroccana



White Yarrow Achillea Millefolium(These might be one of my favorites. They are so tiny and wee. Love.)



Butterfly Milkweed Asclepias Tuberosa(Its looking like my garden will be very red-and-orange.)



Godetia Mix Clarkia Amoena(You know, before this exercise, if you'd asked me to name a few varieties of flowers, I could maybe have named two or three: roses? mums? daisies? Godetia probably wouldn't have come to mind...)



Maltese Cross Lychnis Chalcedonica



Mountain Garland Clarkia Elegans



Whew! Okay, all categorized and stored. Thanks for playing along, folks.

4 comments:

The Mulvihills said...

Looks great! The Nasturtium are a vine--usually paired with morning glory in these parts. Do you have something for them to climb? If not, they could take over pretty quick!

jenny said...

hey girl... I've been reading your blog for a while :) Just thought I'd pop in and say that after reading this very flower-filled post, all I can think about is "who was the guy with the cauliflower blue eyes?" :) Just wondering if it was someone I knew from KHCS ;) Anyway... can't wait to see how all your gardens turn out. I have dreams of gardens in my future...maybe when my kids are older...

whatsthedeal said...

Why, it was Kamienski, of course. Wasn't he everyone's middle school crush? ;) Oh, to be thirteen again.

jenny said...

:) Of course... mine too! He even had the older girls' attention...