Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Yep, 6 More Weeks of Winter

I'm writing this from Steven's new computer.  It is not like mine.  This has resulted in my realization that I don't like change all that much.  

Last weekend, the temperatures here hit the low 60s, and I frantically googled the instructions for a lasagna garden, with hopes that I could get at least some spinach into the ground before it got cold again.

And then this happened.

DSC_0417

And me and Pringles, well, we've decided we aren't leaving the house again until it stops being all cold and frosty white outside.  Carlie and Steven remain unfazed.  I think Carlie might actually be Canadian.  She is impervious to cold.

DSC_0436

This is Steven's perception of what I look like every night, determinedly trying to figure out where and how I will plant a garden in the backyard.  All this planning - its tough work, I tell you.

DSC_0395

Luckily, the return of Jack Frost has granted me a few more weeks to plot and ploy my raised beds.  I also need a good amount of compost to make this whole lasagna garden thing happen, and I can't figure out how or where to get any.  And not one single place in this whole huge metropolitan area is selling a compost bin right now.  Not a single place.  

 DSC_0415

So, as I write this, there may or may not be a big black garbage bag in my backyard with about 30 lbs of wet leaves, hopefully composting away.  Under the snow, that is.

Maybe I'll start my vegetable garden in 2010.  I think I'm going to need this first year to just get my bearings.

1 comment:

Erica said...

fairfax county gives some kind of compost away. melissa knows the details, they get it every year. for my lasagna garden, I went to home depot and bought some dirt and some other bagged things. then I used grass clippings and other things we had laying around (like a bag of rotted mulch).

I'm very excited to see if my compost bin worked this year!!!

p.s. melissa and jon do worm composting, which I think just requires a trash can.