Sunday, February 8, 2009

Call Me An Electrician

("Hey, you're an electrician!")

Well, not quite, but today (against my better judgment), Steven and I tackled changing out a few light fixtures. Turns out, its not as difficult (or scary) as I thought. (But it does make your arms tired to hold them over your head for that long.)

Why? Why would we risk life and limb to install our fixtures when we'd never done anything like that before?

Listen closely, dear readers, and I will tell you why. It is because Steven said the magic words. The magic Marty-Mc-Fly-Hates-Being-Called-A-Coward words. The words that will prompt me to try just about anything (within reason and within the confines of the law).

"I bet you can't do that."

Them's fighting words, ya'll. I was up on that ladder before he could even blink. (Sometimes I think he does it on purpose. For example, the time he said "I bet you can't cook me a batch of coconut macaroons before 8 PM," or the other time when he said "I bet you can't finish that laundry AND do the dishes." Hmm. Maybe he's onto something...)

Anyway, here's Before-And-After, Part Deux:

The dining room, WAY before:

DSC_9961

Looking better with some paint (and no more purple curtains), but that fixture was still bothering us.

DSC_0421

Shut off the power, climb the ladder, say a little prayer, and VOILA!

DSC_0509

The upstairs fixtures used to drive me crazy with the weird shadows they cast on the walls.

DSC_9962

With a little precarious balancing, we changed both of them out, and I LOVE the new ones.

DSC_0503

The fixture in our foyer was rather outdated, not to mention DIRT-AY, and how on earth would we get up there to clean it?

DSC_9594

If you are thinking we somehow managed to climb all the way up there to change that fixture, you are mistaken. We totally hired somebody.

DSC_0508

(And it was totally worth it.)

DSC_0514

Here's the carnage from today. I'm thinking of putting them on E-bay.

DSC_0501

(Would it be worth my trouble? Are these worth anything?)

DSC_0502

Today was a big day, and I've got more to show you (including an outing with Jaimy and our trip to Penzeys (!), but I've still got to finish documenting what I bought there.)

It was very empowering to figure out how to install the new fixtures. I feel very accomplishment-y. Anybody need me to come install their light fixtures? Will install for coffee/yarn/Penzeys spices...

2 comments:

The Mulvihills said...

The new lights look great! I personally am very afraid of anything having to do with electrical work. Did you install the ceiling medallion in the dining room, also? I like it.

As far as the old fixtures are concerned, throw them on Craigslist for $20. In your ad, mention how cool and different they would look if spray painted silver or black and you'll have them sold in five minutes. Take your profit and get yourself a roll of yarn or two--way to be resourceful!

Construction Staffing said...

Of all the trade position in the commercial and industrial construction industry electrician staffing is the most frequently requested service from project contractors and sub-contractors. Electricians are required on every job; including, mines.

Staffing qualified and licensed Electricians in every state would have been a massive challenge for any company; however, with the internet tools of today that task is easy if you have your hands in the right cookie jar. The internet brings people together and puts them to work in the toughest of economies.

Electrician Staffing
is a job for a skilled industrial construction staffing company, the tools must be in place to keep in touch with workers, provide real time quotes to project owners and contractors, and provide payroll services so you can focus on what’s really important – Getting the job done safely!

http://www.gruspersonnel.com