Thursday, February 19, 2009

Banana Bread and Twitter

Does anyone other than me start to get excited when bananas start to look a bit less than, well, fresh? Is that an odd thing to get excited about?

DSC_0578
Because I don't see nearly spoiled bananas here, folks. I see hopes, dreams, possibilities. I see a delicious loaf of banana bread, ripe for the baking. (Terrible pun. I know. Forgive me.)

DSC_0576

This is one of the amazing recipes I swiped from my Mom's recipe cabinet last time we were in Georgia.

DSC_0579

And I officially adore this recipe, although I would adjust the cooking time to about twice the length. (Especially if you are like me and too impatient to bake the loaves separately.)

DSC_0583

Even with a doubly-long baking time, the loaves didn't dry out -- they just got this fantastically delicious crunchy crust around the sides and top.

DSC_0587

Steven doesn't particularly like banana bread (I think that's rather Communist of him, but he's been insisting on chocolate chip cookies and nothing else will do...), so I had a big slice and took the rest to work, where it was devoured.

(Oh, who am I kidding. I brought one of the loaves back home with me and ate the whole thing myself. Every last crumb.)

Mmmmm.

Mom's Banana Nut Bread
1/2 cup butter (I used margarine. It was all we had.)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour milk (regular milk - skim - with 1 tsp. vinegar)
1 tsp. vanilla (I got to use my Penzey's Mexican Vanilla!!)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1.5 cup flour
3 bananas, ripe as they can be
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs. Beat well. Stir baking soda into milk. Add alternately with flour. Add bananas and walnuts. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (I baked the two loaves for closer to 45 min to 1 hour).

As a random aside, I signed up for Twitter today (mostly because we started talking about it at work and I was intrigued), so you can "follow" our activities via the little updates in the side bar. There's no telling whether I'll keep up with the posting on a regular basis, but it seems like a fun idea.

1 comment:

Ms. Debbie said...

Great minds think alike... I made banana bread with choc chips. Dan doesn't care for it either so I too have enjoyed most of the loaf myself. Yum.