Saturday, January 24, 2009

Redemption! (By Way of Potato Soup)

Remember that string of mealtime failures and my deep concern that I might have lost my cooking mojo forever?

Redemption is mine, folks.

DSC_0413

Oh yeah. I still got it.

Baked Potato Soup
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 c. margarine
2/3 c. flour
4 green onions, chopped and divided (didn't use 'em, didn't have any)
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. sour cream
6 c. whole milk (used 1% -- no difference, still thickened perfectly)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Bake potatoes (I baked them in the crock pot, wrapped in tinfoil, because that thing will NOT defeat me yet), cool, scoop out pulp. Melt margarine over low heat. Add flour and stir (whisk) until smooth. Darken roux slightly. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, half of the green onions, 1/2 c. bacon, 1 c. cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated and stir in sour cream.

Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese as garnish. (You can add more milk to stretch the recipe. I halved the whole thing, because it was just the two of us, and because I was scared of having to throw it all out as I've done with the last two meals. BUT NO! It was fantastic and today's score is Heather: 1, Kitchen: 0.)

Go mighty me.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Love, Love LOVE potato soup. Yours sounds fabulous!

Marci said...

I just made this soup and it's delicious! YUM-O!!