Sunday, January 18, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Thanks to several gift certificates from Home Depot (thank you Huffs and Steeles and Mulvihills!), our house is starting to look a bit more like a home.

DSC_0307

We spent all day yesterday and today painting the two front rooms in the house. (You thought we were done painting?? Oh, think again...) I'm going to finish the trim in the front room tomorrow if it kills me, and then hopefully finish the trim in the dining room and be rid of that horrid pink forever and ever. We still have to hire somebody to paint the entryway, and I'm just keeping the doors to the upstairs bedrooms shut so I don't have to think about how they are not even a smidge painted, and how I haven't even taken down the wallpaper yet....and... and....

Anyway. The to-do list isn't getting any smaller.

Carlie has been following me around into every room I paint, and she falls asleep right on the plastic sheeting. We moved the sheeting out of her way and realized that she was actually just claiming the sunny spot in the house.

DSC_0292

I'm also starting to get the hang of the gas stove. As you might expect, it cooks FAST -- much faster than my old electric stove, and that has resulted in a couple of, um, crispy meals... Friday's meal was an old standard -- chicken fingers with mac-and-cheese. I'll give you the recipe but its not really a recipe, just instructions.

DSC_0274

Chicken Fingers
Boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
1 egg
3/4 c. italian breadcrumbs
1/4 c. parmesan
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Whisk egg in bowl. Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan in separate bowl with salt and pepper. Dip boneless skinless chicken tenderloins first into egg bowl, then into breadcrumbs bowl, making sure to coat each one thoroughly with breadcrumb mixture. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet on stove. Slide coated tenderloin gently into hot oil and fry until browned.

Serve with Velveeta Shells & Cheese. :)

No comments: