Friday, December 12, 2008

Just Like Mom Used to Make

You know those meals that remind you of your childhood? This is mine.

DSC_9790

We called it "Poppyseed Chicken," although I rarely remember the dish actually having poppyseeds in it. (We were rather picky eaters as kids, and there was probably some protest over the "weird black bits" in the food.)

The recipe is extremely simple. I have no idea where Mom found it, but it was a staple in our household, and often requested for birthday dinners and the like. And given that it is a quick recipe with very few ingredients, I added it into our weekly meal rotation last week.

DSC_9798

It is my never ending quest to try to cook dinner at home instead of dining out every single weeknight, but (as I've previously complained), it is really tough to whip a dinner together when you walk in the door at 7 PM. I literally drop my bag on the kitchen table and turn on the burners.

So to have a meal that comes together in about twenty-five minutes, I'm totally thrilled. And with that, I give you a brief glimpse into the Steele kitchen. This is my little culinary workspace, replete with spice rack, stand mixer, and my cutting board that I put over the sink to give me more counter space. Also, please note the time on the microwave clock. That's right -- its 7:26 PM and I am plating up the dinner. Sweet.

DSC_9801

Poppyseed chicken is a definite keeper. I ended up boiling the chicken per the recipe instructions, but I think an equally delicious version could be made with roasted chicken pulled from one of those store-bought rotisserie birds. Mmm.

DSC_9805

Thanks for the recipe, Mom. Twenty-something years later, its still delicious.

Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 chicken boullion cubes
small container of sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken soup
Ritz crackers
butter and poppyseeds (optional)

Boil chicken until cooked through and place in casserole dish. Microwave 1/4 c. water with boullion cubes for 1 minute. Mix with sour cream and cream of chicken soup. Pour mixture over chicken cubes and top with crumbled Ritz crackers. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes to crisp topping. (To add poppyseeds, mix poppyseeds with small dab of melted butter, then mix crumbled crackers with butter mixture before topping casserole.)

3 comments:

Marci said...

I used to have that all the time, too! And we ate the poppyseeds!! We used to joke that our little sister would flunk an opiate drug test in preschool because we ate it so much. LOL. Thanks for reminding me of that yummy recipe! We really were casserole kids, weren't we!?

Mom said...

AMEN on your casserole cooking. Looks wonderful. I can just taste the yumminess now. I think I'll cook that for Matt this week while he is at home.

Marci said...

I asked my mom about it and she said that my dad's mom is the one who gave the recipe to her way back all those years ago before I was born!