Sunday, December 7, 2008

Shilla Bakery

Near our house, a new bakery just opened, and I've been dying to try it out. It just so happens to be next-door to our local Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and since we go there fairly often, I asked Steven if we could pop into the bakery on our way to the Burger Mecca.

We bought a couple of little desserts to try, including what looked like a tiny layered cake with an icing flower piped onto the top.

DSC_9202

It tasted like tiramisu and it was delish, if altogether a bit dry.

We also bought a tiny chocolate cake, mostly because it was so wee that I had to have it.

DSC_9194

It, also, was delicious.

DSC_9198

And then, because the bakery is still trying to get the word out about its grand opening, the owners gave us a third dessert to try.

This one was a Boston Creme Pie with teeny sprinkles around the edges. So cute.

DSC_9197

And to top off the cuteness factor, the bakery packaged up all of our little one-person cakes in a little origami fold-up box.

DSC_9192

I especially appreciated the nod to Van Gogh. Classic. The place also serves lunch wraps and frozen yogurt, and those bubble tea drinks with the enormous straws. I am not a fan (it is extremely horrific to sip your drink and have some huge awful thing come up the straw), but if its your cup of tea (pun intended), they have a bunch of different flavors.

Overall, I'd give them a B+ for the pastries. We'll probably go back, if only to get another cute little carrying box.

Shilla Bakery
3250 Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703) 352-1446

3 comments:

Becky said...

lol! I LOVE bubble tea, but Eric shares your visceral horror.

Good for you for trying, though:)

Marci said...

Looks totally delish! If I'm ever up there, I shall try it!

The Mulvihills said...

Mmmmm...wishing I had the Boston Creme pie right now!