Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Seasons of Change

We were up this morning at 4 AM to make it to the polls in time to vote. (Obviously I did not take these pictures this morning -- it was pitch dark outside at that ungodly hour.)

DSC_9154

We had a very narrow window in which to vote -- we had a secret flight scheduled for departure from Dulles at 9 AM, and our taxi to the airport was scheduled to show up at our apartment by 7 AM.

The polls opened at 6 AM, which gave us exactly one hour to vote. We weren't taking any chances, so we were awake by 4 AM and standing in line at our local precinct by 4:45 AM. (We were the 6th and 7th people in line, respectively.)

DSC_9161

We cast our ballots at precisely 6:07 AM. Whew. And then we flew to Florida! Woo! We are here on a combination trip -- celebrating Thanksgiving with the Steeles, celebrating Steven's dad's retirement from a long and illustrious career at the University of Minnesota (Congrats Daniel Jay!) and also just getting a well-deserved week at the beach/by the pool.

And now, as I sit here and watch the election coverage, I'm fairly certain that our guy is going to come in second. Which is pretty good in the Olympics but not quite as good in a presidential election.

I had a feeling that the leaves would be changing in Washington this fall. And its been surprisingly easy to take, knowing that tomorrow I will sleep in late and then sit by the pool and ponder our new (likely) one-party government.

DSC_9164

And life will go on. I will keep working hard and keep paying taxes (hopefully not too much, Mr. Obama, pretty please?), and eventually the leaves will change again in DC. The Republican Party has some work to do to restore its reputation in the world.

DSC_9166

And in the meantime, I will have intelligent discussions about the Libertarian Party with my headed-to-college brother Chris, and we'll see what happens in 2012.

DSC_9180

Congrats to all of my friends who worked diligently for the Democratic Party. I know you are excited and I am proud of your hard work, even if I disagreed with the viewpoints sometimes. :) You deserve to cherish this moment.

DSC_9185

Above all, it was an honor and a privilege to participate in our democracy this (early early oh-so-early) morning, and I will wake up tomorrow still knowing that regardless of whether we are commanded-in-chief by a Democrat or a Republican, I am really quite proud to call myself an American.

And PS - Happy Birthday to my brother Jon! Hope you enjoyed all the birthday election coverage. Love you!

2 comments:

Jaimy and Bret said...

Well put, my friend. ;) Way to not burn any bridges for that presidential run in 2020.

tracy said...

I was so happy to see the old McCain back on Tuesday night. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy towards Republicans, and usually only you can do that, Heather! Well, you and Professor Krauss. Seriously though, I think Obama meant it when he said he will be your President, too. He has way too many challenges ahead of him not to reach across the aisle. But we shall see...