Monday, November 10, 2008

Holiday Roooooooads...

We made it to Florida.

There are really weird birds here. (Egrets?)

DSC_9244

Weird, but surprisingly tame.

DSC_9246

And kinda cute, maybe.

DSC_9247

DSC_9250

After a gray day by the pool with some unseasonably cold weather (for Florida), we decided to drive out to the beach.

And on the way, Florida wrote us a love letter.

DSC_9264

I think it actually says "Jesus loves U" but Jesus was starting to fade away by the time we drove up. (Does that sound sacrilegious to anyone or is it just me?)

I got to try out my new beach-savvy purchases, not so much for fashion but more to keep the blazing sun off my porcelain skin.

DSC_9267
Hello. I am clearly a tourist.

Steven looked a bit less obvious than I did at that whole out-of-towner thing.

DSC_9270

And it was so lovely on our drive to the beach. We got there and immediately dug our toes into the sand.

DSC_9282

Ah, this is the life.

DSC_9287

But then we looked around a bit. And we noticed something.

DSC_9281

Oh right. It was cloudy. And cold.

DSC_9292

Even the seagulls looked a bit chilly.

DSC_9301

Argh. The weatherman said it would be 75 and sunny. I am officially mad at him, whoever he is.

We took a couple more pictures of the seagulls, and we laid there, shivering on our beach towels, for another few minutes.

DSC_9295

And then we looked at each other and simultaneously said, "Yep, we're all done here."

And we packed it up and drove back to the rental house. Where it was, indeed, seventy-five and sunny.

DSC_9377

We spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool, and I will admit that Florida has redeemed herself by returning to sunshine and warm weather. For now.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Sandhill crane?

Erica said...

they are definitely sandhill cranes. They're a big deal around there, people get very excited about the migration. I think they migrate from Minnesota? Wisconsin? somewhere like that. they have a Florida brand, but it is apparently very rare (according to Wikipedia)

Jaimy and Bret said...

where in fl have you been? looks like home to me....your pics made me homesick for the beach!