Sunday, May 4, 2008

Maryland Sheep and Wool!

9 AM, Saturday Morning. We (myself and my accomplice in yarn-buying) are in the car, ready to go (albeit one detour to Caribou for very needed caffeine).

We enjoyed a nice drive through the countryside, followed by a nice hour of sitting in knitter-traffic. We finally spotted this:

DSC_3130

And we knew we'd made it.

I had read that the Sheep and Wool Festival was well-attended, but I guess I never really believed it until I saw it with my own eyes.

DSC_3135

The place was packed.

DSC_3137

Seriously, look at these crowds.

DSC_3175

Wow. And besides the sheer volume of people, there was more yarn than I could possibly comprehend. (Or buy, for that matter.)

DSC_3181

DSC_3185

DSC_3231

I mean, seriously. I almost died from sensory-overload. This might be what Heaven is like. Except for someone should also be handing out free Cokes or something.

And yes, for those of you that find wool-shopping in May to be slightly insane, there were plenty of other non-yarn goods to buy. There were rows and rows of local plants.

DSC_3255

There were beeswax candles.

DSC_3257

There were even honey sticks of different flavors!

DSC_3259

We were instantly overwhelmed. Clearly we needed to get our bearings and figure out a plan. We consulted the map, and upon doing so, we realized the place was even bigger than we thought. We hadn't even found the main exhibition hall yet. Good lord.

DSC_3151

The main exhibition hall was also, as you can imagine, packed.

DSC_3155

I saw some prize-winning wool, freshly shorn right off the sheep.

DSC_3162

And the happiest wall of sock yarn you ever did see.

DSC_3163

But no, we could not get distracted by just any old sock yarn. We could buy that online. No, we were here for something else entirely.

DSC_3166

Two words: Drop Spindle.

DSC_3169

Oh yeah. We were in, and we were in deep. For those unfamiliar with all of my knitting jargon, a drop spindle is the gateway to spinning your own yarn from the fluff of shorn sheep. These are Bosworth spindles, which is what I got. Erica got a Golding spindle. We're going to compare spindles, once we figure out what the heck we're doing.

Once you figure out how to spin with a drop spindle, you eventually graduate to this:

DSC_3171

A full-fledged spinning wheel. And then I can go all Rumpelstiltskin on you and spin straw into gold. (Steven says we have absolutely no more room in our apartment, so I think I'll have to stick with the drop spindle for now. Besides, I don't really feel like pricking my finger and falling asleep for a hundred years. That would be mighty inconvenient.)

I was going to buy some Socks that Rock yarn, but the line was too long.

DSC_3187

DSC_3188

Also, there was a more important line we had to consider.

DSC_3203

(We opted for the porta-potties instead of the restroom line. Time was limited, and we had priorities, people. I shall not discuss the horrors of a porta-john at 1PM during a crowded festival. Use your imagination. Yes, it was that bad.)

Okay, let's cleanse that image -- Look! Pretty flowers!

DSC_3234

These made me smile - they were so vibrant!

DSC_3235

Gorgeousness.

DSC_3236

In fact, the most remarkable thing about all of MDSW (as the locals call it) was just how colorful everything was.

DSC_3237

DSC_3198

DSC_3199

We especially liked the Brooks Farm Fiber displays.

DSC_3227

On looking at these pictures, I kinda wish I'd bought some of this stuff. There was a Clapotis made from some Duet yarn that was beautiful. (Can you see it in the picture there, hanging from the rack? I can hear my credit card softly weeping already...)

DSC_3228

DSC_3229

And Erica liked this stuff:

DSC_3233

And since I am an enabler, I will now remind her how pretty it was. In the silver-ish color....(evil grin). :)

DSC_3232

We also happened upon the Art Show. There was a handspun, handknit sweater that won Best in Show.

DSC_3241

And I hope my spinning will someday look like this, with the barberpole effect.

DSC_3244

I think the comments on the Judge's card are so cute -- "Congratulations on a lovely job!" It makes me want to enter my own projects...

DSC_3245

After a little more wandering, we happened upon our other required purchase. Fluff to spin on our new drop spindles!

DSC_3149

I wanted some really bright, fun fluff -- which is actually called "roving," come to find out. And this roving was awesomely bright. I bought two different kinds -- a solid color to practice on, and a fun multicolored version for when I get better at spinning.

DSC_3150

I have already spun up a little of the practice stuff. Its extremely fun and addictive.

Also fun and addictive? Llamas!

DSC_3205

In my alternate existence, I would like to live on a farm and own some llamas.

DSC_3215

And I'll bet you don't know what's cuter than a llama? (Lots of things, right.) Ok, let me rephrase. I'll bet you didn't realize that Alpacas are different than Llamas, did you? And did you know that Alpacas are really adorable and kind of resemble pugs?

DSC_3220

In the cheeks, mostly.

DSC_3218

Come on. You know you want one as a pet.

DSC_3221

Our final purchase of the day (well, I watched vicariously as Erica purchased it, but whatever) was a few small prints of these adorable cartoon sheep pictures. This one is "High Strung" and I got a little business-card sized version of it for my office.

DSC_3250

Cuteness.

Upon arriving at home (after the advice of a local police officer sent us to the only gas station within 100 miles -- we needed Gatorade and potato chips, big time -- and then sent us on a tour of the back roads of Southern Maryland), I surveyed my purchases and realized that I actually didn't blow the bank like I'd intended to. (Steven is cheering.)

Here's my drop spindle. Its made from Zircote wood. Erica also gave me some of her extra practice fluff to spin.

DSC_3265

We bought our roving from Gale's Art. I adore the colors.

DSC_3273

Isn't it gorgeous? This is my "practice" stuff.

DSC_3272

And here's the multicolored one.

DSC_3277

I am very excited to spin this one, but a little nervous too. I don't want to screw it up.

DSC_3278

DSC_3279

The only yarn I bought was from a lady named Roz.

DSC_3270

How could I resist?

DSC_3271

This will eventually become a Baby Surprise Jacket, but I'm having trouble finding the pattern. I should have just bought the book while I was at MDSW. Oh well. I'll buy it online from Barnes & Noble.

And that's it! (I know, aren't you shocked? I am just a picture of self-restraint.) Maryland Sheep and Wool was an overwhelmingly awesome and exhausting experience. I fell asleep dreaming of spinning all my fluffy wonderfulness.

(Also, twenty bucks says I've bought that Duet yarn online before the week's over.)

:)

2 comments:

Erica said...

ok (a) how did I not see that duet yarn? It is wonderful! and (b) the yarn you bought (the purples and blues) might be one of my favorite yarns that I've seen. I can't wait to see what it makes. And those selbuvotter mittens that won a prize - that will be me next year (stop laughing - I already made one pair!)

The Mulvihills said...

This looks FABULOUS!!! I'm not even a knitter and I want to go next year! Super cool! I can't wait to see pics of what you make!