Monday, April 7, 2008

Leaning Tower of Cookie

DSC_2214

Chopped walnuts. Semi-sweet chocolate chips. A little stack of heaven. It had been far too long since I'd done any baking at all, much less made chocolate-chip cookies. This was an egregious mistake on my part, and it had to be remedied immediately.

DSC_2216

Ah. Much better.

--------------------------------------

It had also been far too long since we'd gone on an outing that didn't involve drive-thru windows or purchases of toilet paper at the grocery store. So we ventured out to Alexandria.

DSC_2189

It was a dangerous trip, as evidenced by the broken nail, pictured below. He was so brave in the face of pain -- what a trooper.

DSC_2190

In return for his broken fingernail, we decided to buy him a new car.

DSC_2162

HA! Kidding. But this shot is so classically Alexandria -- the skinny brick alleyways, the overhanging vines (and the Cayenne...)

We also happened to stop at one of my favorite places. (The barfy greens in the yarn I bought were unbearable. We took it back and exchanged it for something a little less puke-colored.)

DSC_2171

I love Alexandria. The new stores, stuffed into old crumbly brick buildings. The trendy people. The lack of parking. (Which is why I will visit, but never reside there.) We felt just like George Washington, commuting in from our suburban Mount Vernon farmhouse to gather supplies in the City.

DSC_2178

(That is, if Geo. Wash. considered a five pump cinnamon dolce latte to be amongst his needed City supplies...)

DSC_2181

Back in the car, we were delighted to see how close we were to the River. (Extra points if you can spot the Reagan airport.)

DSC_2186

And, despite my best efforts, the blossoming cherry trees evaded me. I blame the semi-nasty weather -- it was drizzly and cold all day. This was the best I could get for you. Cherry Blossoms a la Sidewalk.

DSC_2195

After our jaunt out in Alexandria, we went out golfing with Steven's friends from work. The driving range is actually pretty cool -- its all computerized and scores you for each swing based on where the ball lands on the driving range.

DSC_2202

While the boys practiced their swings, I started in on my freshly-exchanged yarn, while the mom of our couple-friends entertained her one-year old. This little girl was painfully cute -- all bright eyes, pink t-shirts and giggles. And she loved tortilla chips. A woman after my own heart. No pictures of her, because you never know how other people feel about their kid's face online for all to see. (Also, I'm not sure I even got any pictures of her. Kids are fast, which makes it difficult to take non-blurry pictures of them.)

DSC_2203

Overall, it was a nice little refreshing weekend. And now, back to our regularly-scheduled work week. (And cookies. Definitely more cookies.)

1 comment:

The Mulvihills said...

Those cookies look de-lish!!!