Saturday, January 5, 2008

Saturdays are the Best Days

We have a favorite breakfast restaurant. A little hole-in-the-wall place, out in suburbia somewhere, where its quiet and the waitstaff recognizes us and remembers our order.

DSC_0789

It helps that we order exactly the same thing (for both of us) every single time. The breakfast special - eggs over medium, bacon and wheat toast. Oh, and definitely coffee.

DSC_0790

We go for breakfast every Saturday morning. Its become something of a ritual at this point.

DSC_0791

We used to live closer, and we've since moved to another part of town, so its about a 20 minute drive to get there now. But we still go. We tried to substitute a Denny's breakfast once. It was unpleasant, to say the least. We've been faithful to our little hole-in-the-wall place ever since.

There are other benefits. For starters, there's a Starbucks next door, so we usually stop for a cup-to-go after we finish breakfast.

DSC_0792

And the 20 minute drive is full of wide-open skies and little happy bits of scenery.

DSC_0794

DSC_0795

See the ducks? The little man-made lake has frozen over, which is odd, since its not really that cold out. Although I guess it was somewhat cold, since I wore my favorite bright sweater.

DSC_0798

Another good thing about driving out to have breakfast in suburbia is that Steven's favorite car wash place is nearby. Its named, appropriately, "Suds."

DSC_0800

Come to think of it, we sure do wash this car a lot.

DSC_0802

On the way back, I worked on the fingerless mitts for the attorney at work with the cold hands. (Note: for those of you waiting with bated breath, here are the colors I picked!)

DSC_0803

I'm still not sure I love the color combo. She asked for pink and this is more of a peachy coral color. She also specifically didn't want white, as she was worried they would get dirty too fast. But this was my favorite of all the combos. Worst case scenario, she doesn't like them, and I just keep them for myself and make her another pair with some new yarn in whatever colors she picks. :) (See how this works out for me either way? New mitts for me or more yarn for me!)

DSC_0805

I had to stop by work for a bit, to make some extra photocopies of the pleadings for court on Monday.

DSC_0806

The court appearance is in a courthouse that's about 60 miles south of my work, and I'm a little nervous, as its a court no one's been to yet. I guess that will make me the expert once I've been, though. :) I typed up one more praecipe while I was there, just to be sure I had all the documents I needed. Hard to believe I spend most of my waking hours sitting at this keyboard, isn't it?

DSC_0807

Also hard to believe I'm done with these forever:

DSC_0810

If I had to go back and do it all over again, I'm not sure I could. It was a ridiculous amount of work. I miss going to classes once in a while, but then I just glance up at that shelf full of textbooks and suddenly I don't miss it quite so much.

Besides, I'm not truly finished with the academia until the end of February, when the MD Bar is over and done with. For now, the rest of my Saturday will consist of this:

DSC_0816

DSC_0819

(For the curious among you, yes, that is Guitar Hero playing in the background. Its become rather like a dorm room in here lately.) :)

DSC_0817

Time to get back to my studying. The subject matter is strangely accurate today. :)

DSC_0811

3 comments:

Erica said...

pretty mitts! maybe one day I can knit again...

I'm jealous about breakfast. getting everyone out of the house here is like moving. but luckily I can cook a pretty mean egg if inspired.

MBE questions make me mad.

tracy said...

What kind of camera do you use? I love your photos.

Dan bought me a digital SLR for Christmas, but I don't know how to use it. How did you learn photography?

DHuffCPA said...

That section of the law could perhaps help me understand certain of my clients better ...